Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Apple Crumwell

Let's call it a Crumwell after our friend Cromwell.

     Last night I made one of my favorite British deserts for the first time... Apple Crumble! I had this desert for the first time in 2010 at a luncheon at Trinity Road Chapel, the church I attended when I studied in London. It's a lot like Apple Cobbler only simpler. Crumble is a traditional British pudding that can be made with many different combinations of fruit. Some berry tasty alternatives are blackberry, peach, apple and plum, and rhubarb. So bellow is the recipe I used with yummy results. You guys can easily make it with the help of Grandma Leslie or your parents. If I can make it then I'm pretty sure anyone can.



(recipe from BBC.co.uk food section.)
     

  Ingredients

     For the crumble
  •      300g/10½oz plain flour, sieved pinch of salt
  •      175g/6oz unrefined brown sugar
  •      200g/7oz unsalted butter, cubed at room temperature
  •      Knob of butter for greasing
     For the filling
  •      450g/1lb apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1cm/½in pieces
  •      50g/2oz unrefined brown sugar
  •      1 tbsp plain flour
  •      1 pinch of ground cinnamon



    Preparation method

    1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
    2. Place the flour and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Taking a few cubes of butter at a time rub into the flour mixture. Keep rubbing until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

    3. Place the fruit in a large bowl and sprinkle over the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Stir well being careful not to break up the fruit.
    4. Butter a 24cm/9in ovenproof dish. Spoon the fruit mixture into the bottom, then sprinkle the crumble mixture on top.
    5. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the crumble is browned and the fruit mixture bubbling.
    6. Serve with thick cream or custard.



      Our delicious creation filled The Penthouse with warmth and a sugary sweet smell!
      It was fun to make and more fun to eat!




     This desert should easily serve 6 and is still tasty the second time around if you have it for breakfast like I did today :) Try it out soon and then tell me how you liked it! Though apple is my favorite I think I'll try other flavors soon. Blackberry sounds quite nice, but I'll have to wait until those are in season. Until next time... I love you and I miss you little ones!



~Love Auntie~

No comments:

Post a Comment