Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pancake Day!

     Today in the UK lots of families are celebrating Pancake Day, a twist on Fat Tuesday or Shrove Tuesday as it is known in the Christian calendar. Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday and the official start of Lent and so many people use this tuesday to indulge their sweet tooth. Although most in this country don't pay close attention to the fasting of Lent, they do seem rather fond of Pancake Day. I know it's one of Jay's favorites, which is why we made pancakes today for desert.
Here are some MP's flipping pancakes in front
of the Houses of Parliament, a yearly tradition!


     I won't bore you with another recipe, but if you want one you can check it out on the BBC Food website. The pancakes we made today are different than the kind we eat at Grandma and Grandpa's house. These are thinner, crispier and more traditional. And being that they are traditional I decided to eat them in the traditional fashion, with a lemon juice and sugar... well I only tried about one of those. I can see why people would like it. It tastes similar to a lemon bar or lemon meringue but I'm not fond of those desserts, so I quickly switched to Nutella spread while Jay favored banana slices and bits of chocolate bars. The best part wasn't actually eating them, if you can believe it... it was making them. Watch the video below if you don't believe me!

Jay did most of the flipping of flapjacks, but I had a go of it too.

See, these pancakes are very thin... not at all like the thick fluffy ones we make.

Suggested toppings... Apparently maple syrup isn't the done thing here.

Yummy Nutella filled pancakes!

Jay's banana and chocolate pancakes.

Jay showing off his skills are pancake flipping.
Sadly my first attempt ended up on the floor.
I wish I had Jay catch the whole tragedy on camera,
but at least we got my first successfully flipped cake! Hooray!





Love you little ones! Happy Pancake Day!

~Auntie~

1 comment:

  1. Hi Auntie,

    I really like Mr Bean and the video that you made was very funny. I miss you sooooo much.

    Love,

    Ella Bean

    ReplyDelete